SNOOP'S LIST

Thursday, November 17, 2005

1. Poker


How could it possibly be anything other than Poker? Specifically No-Limit Texas Hold'em. I admit it, I'm a bandwagon hopper. Three years ago a game of Poker would not have interested me in the slightest. I was never very much of a gambler, and Poker was just another traditional card game played with money. Traditional card games were never my cup o' joe, but I've done a turnaround over the last couple of years, warming up to games like Gin Rummy, Cribbage, and others.

My fascination with Poker started, as you may have guessed, when The Travel Channel debuted the World Poker Tour. I had watched clips from World Series of Poker events before (it was a game, after all) but with only a modicum of interest and even less understanding. It wasn't until the WPT began showing each player's hole cards that the nature of the game really opened up to me. That little camera offered a world of insight on how to play, what to play and when to play. Naturally, the pros still have secrets that a camera could never reveal, but that little innovation turned me into a red hot Poker fanatic. Two years later I still have a passion for the game that is largely unrivaled by the other 500 games in my closet. Games like Chess, Bridge and Go (yes, always with Go) eventually fell by the wayside for me because I couldn't dedicate myself to necessary the study of them. My typical excuse: How could I justify spending so much time devoted to one game when I had so many others at my disposal? Poker has betrayed the rationale of that excuse. I've devoured several books on the topic (no limit, low limit, psychology, tournaments, tells, etc...) and I'm always on the hunt for more.

As for the gambling aspect? I play in a somewhat-regular home game with friends and family members. We play for nickels and dimes -- a raise of fifty cents is a big deal and usually gets the table buzzing. Once I played at a $2/$4 table in Atlantic City and won about $80 with a full house (Queens full of Kings, thank you very much!) Beyond that, I get much of my enjoyment playing in free, freeze-out tournaments. Even if you play for no money, the game is still exciting. Since there's only one man standing at the end, it's no less a game than any other. Many Poker fans may argue that it's just ain't Poker unless you're playing for money. If that's how they feel, fine. But to me that's like saying you can't enjoy watching a sporting event unless you've got money riding on the outcome. In other words, I feel those who require money are more interested in the gamble than the game. It's a prejudice they're entitled to, but I see things differently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home